Thursday 16 June 2011

Apocalypse, Now!

So, this morning I had my first shower in nearly two days.

I know, I know, grim, grim, grim.

Normally, my morning shower is sacrosanct, along with my second cup of tea. As soon as the baby goes down for her morning nap, I hop in, hop out, get dressed and put some make-up on. Then I am ready to face ANYTHING the world brings.

Yesterday, I forwent my shower as I planned on walking the dog for a long time downtown to try and drag some of his never-ending energy out of him and give me some afternoon peace. I thought, there's no point showering only to get all sweaty again, I'll have a shower later.

A busy day followed and the shower was pushed back & back, so I planned a long soak after I'd put the baby to bed.

Well, Mother Nature had different ideas.


At about 6.30pm, all was settling down Chez Priest. James was back from work and was fiddling around in the garage, I was clearing up and preparing dinner when the sky suddenly turned purple in the East and the storm arrived.


Now, this was no Joplin tornado, mercifully, but it was pretty hardcore. As soon as the wind started whipping around the trees, the hail came. This was no small-fry hail, some of the chunks of ice that fell to the ground were about half a cup in size. 


Fork lightening and thunder rumbled all around, tree limbs came crashing down and the hail continued to pummel our house and the car which was parked outside.




Take cover!

The storm didn't last long, but it's aftereffects have caused us considerable grief. First there's the car, barely 6 months old, that now looks like the inside of a steel drum, pock marks cover the roof and all down one side. And the siding on the house also barely 6 months old, looks like someone took a machine gun to it, all chipped and shattered.


Cue a day of insurance companies and deductibles. 


Luckily no-one was hurt, although some houses up the road had smashed windows and the roads are covered in tree debris. It made me wonder how on Earth tornado victims cope with the devastation wreaked by these terrifying twisters.


Today was definitely a 4 Lindt choc truffle day.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, the shower! I totally get it, even now that Wee 'Burb is 19 months, taking a shower and having a glass of wine after she goes down for the night is like the happiest part of my day.

    I'm so sorry about the damage! I hope insurance all worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so comment away!