Thursday 19 May 2011

Dreams and Disappointments

I always loved school, I was one of those people, not a geek, I just enjoyed the learning and social environment that being at school provided. I think I loved it from the day I started in Reception (Kindergarten).

I had great friends, whom I am still in touch with now and some great teachers. Languages were my passion, both English and foreign, maths was my nemesis!

It was with heavy heart that I left high school to embark on life at university. The structure and security that high school offered was a far cry from the 'you're on your own' mentality I quickly encountered on campus.

In my final years at school, I had set my heart on studying Law. I researched the universities I wanted to study at and chose Liverpool as my first choice. I worked hard to try and achieve the high entry grades they required to be accepted and although I fell a little short on the day, I still gained a place and was thrilled, excited and terrified at what lay ahead.

Looking back, it is an impossible task for a 17 year old to know what they want to do in life, to choose a definitive career. I chose Law as I wanted to become a solicitor. Naively and superficially, I chose this career because I knew it would offer me a great income, job security and a standard of living I wanted for my future. I didn't choose it for the one reason I should have; to study the laws and legislation of our country. And for this reason, I hated it.

I didn't just hate the course, I hated being away from home, I was terribly homesick. Despite living in one of Britain's most vibrant cities with great friends I had made in my Halls, I just didn't want to be there and every Friday I would travel back home on the train to spend weekends there. It was doomed from the start!

So, after 10 weeks, I made the decision to quit. A decision which did not go down well with my parents, obviously. They could not understand why I would throw away such an incredible opportunity. But I was 18 and very determined, so home I went. Moving home set into motion a sequence of events that led my life down a very different path to the one I had envisioned when I left school and I never did get the 'career' bit sorted.

As I write now, nearly 11 years later, I still don't know what I would have done differently. I don't believe in regrets; everything you do consciously, you do for a reason. If I hadn't left, I would not have met my amazing husband, would not have my beautiful daughter and would maybe not be living in America.

Well, I think I have just answered my own question!


A completely gratuitous Imogen shot!

No regrets, never. Life; you've just got to roll with it!


Written for Mama Kat's Writers' Workshop

4 comments:

  1. You are so right. I irmly believe that everything happens for a reason.

    I don't live that far from you. I live outdside Atlanta and we have some very good friends who live outside Greenville in Moore.

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting how one decision can change the entire outcome of our lives.

    I've made some choices that definitely weren't in my best interest, but they have led me to my sweet family. And, I also wouldn't change that for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fate and destiny are fascinating aren't they, how one turn in one direction opposed to another can change the course of your life. Keeps you on your toes!

    @pegbur7, we don't live too far from Moore, we're just outside of Greer, it's a great place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First step in getting to know yourself...walking away from the known and secure without a safety net! My kids are college age ~ and we've worked very hard to let them map out their own paths. 17 is young, and there are many ways to build a life. So I say bravo for being brave!
    Visitng from Mama Kats!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so comment away!