Wednesday 30 March 2011

The Mom Pledge


moth-er (verb): to
care for or protect like a mother; act maternally toward

care for or protect like a mother; act maternally toward
When you think about the qualities involved in being a mother, the following adjectives spring to mind: nurturing, protective, loving, caring. A mum should be all that is good in the world; a safe haven in stormy seas, a friend to all people, a homemaker.

So why is it that becoming a mother can bring out the worst in so many women?

Since becoming a Mum myself, I have sadly had to tag new adjectives on to the description of mothers: competitive, judgmental, two-faced, jealous, snobby.

I wouldn't necessarily class myself as a Mommy Blogger, but I do read a lot of Mommy Blogs and articles to do with parenting and unfortunately, I have encountered a lot of 'cyber-bullying' between mothers; grown women who should know better.

Although I have not personally been the victim of Mom-bullying, I have seen on many online comment boards some of the unspeakable vitriol that mothers feel appropriate to vent to other mothers who are simply trying to live their lives and share their honest experiences.

At the end of the day, as long as you love, protect and provide for your children, it doesn't matter whether you breastfeed or bottle-feed, whether you make your own baby food or buy jars and it doesn't matter what stroller you use. If your child makes it to adulthood a well-rounded, happy human being, you have done the best you can do.

This is why I am Taking the Pledge, to highlight the message of sisterhood, to say that women should show solidarity in motherhood and respect each woman's personal parenting choices.


The Mom Pledge
I am a proud Mommy Blogger. I will conduct myself with integrity in all my blogging activities. I can lead by example.
I pledge to treat my fellow moms with respect. I will acknowledge that there is no one, "right" way to be a good Mom. Each woman makes the choices best for her family.
I believe a healthy dialogue on important issues is a good thing. I will welcome differing opinions when offered in a respectful, non-judgmental manner. And will treat those who do so in kind.
I stand up against online bullying. My blog is my space. I will not tolerate comments that are rude, condescending or disrespectful.
I refuse to give those who attack a platform. I will remove their remarks from my blog with no mention or response. I can take control.
I want to see moms work together to build one another up, not tear each other down. Words can be used as weapons. I will not engage in that behavior.
I affirm that we are a community. As a member, I will strive to foster goodwill among moms. Together, we can make a difference.


To show your support for The Mom Pledge, you can follow on Twitter
or look at their website.


1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. I think this part is so important - "mothers who are simply trying to live their lives and share their honest experiences." If we can't do that w/out worrying about being attacked, what do we have?! Thank you for your support of The Mom Pledge!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so comment away!